Ellu Urundai is a mandatory special sweet made in my house for Makara Sankranti / Ganesha Chaturthi. Usually we use whole sesame seeds, but you can also use roasted ellu powder and mix with it jaggery. Besides Sesame seeds and jaggery has lot of Health benefit. to know more about it , check here.. This recipe is for Blogging Marathon 32 - ABC series.
Preparation time: 5 ~ 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 ~ 30 minutes
Serves: 230 grams
1 cup sesame seeds
¾ cup jaggery or to taste
Oil as needed
1. Clean and wash sesame seeds two or three time in water. Use filter to drain the water.
2. Dry roast the seeds water evaporates and until you hear the popping sound. Stir continuously to avoid burning.
3. Transfer to another plate and allow it to cool. Meantime heat jaggery and ½ cup of water and allow it to boil.
4. Once jaggery dissolves in water, drain the mixture to remove the dust from jaggery. Reuse drained jaggery water to prepare syrup.
|This picture belong to Pori Urundai recipe and I am sharing here to show syrup consistency.|
5. Heat the mixture in medium heat till the syrup thickens and reaches soft ball consistency. i.e, if you drop spoonful of jaggery mixture dropped in a bowl of water, it should not dissolves as shown in pictures and should be thick and able to make a soft ball out of it or candid thermometer shows 240 degree F.
6. Immediately add roasted sesame seeds to the syrup and mix well. transfer to another plate and roll it into small balls before it cool off. Grease your palm before rolling.
Store it in air tight container.
Let's check the blogging marathon page here
Logo courtesy : Preeti