Pedas are Indian milk fudge made out of milk solids and sugar. According to Wikipedia, Origin of peda is from Uttar pradesh, India and is popular all around India. This traditional method is the one which we follow in our family by generations, which is quite long process but worth trying it and sure it will pay off your time.. Sharing this recipe for Blogging Marathon 32- ABC Series.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 90 ~ 110 minutes
Yield : 150grams
4 cups whole milk
½ ~ ¾ cup sugar to taste
½ tsp cardamom powder
1 ~ 2 tsp ghee
A pich of salt
Safforn as needed(optional)
1. Heat milk in heavy bottom wide pan. Stir continuously and bring to boil.
2. Stir continuously until 80% of milk reduced and form into thick mud like consistency. It took almost 90 minutes in medium heat for me to get this consistency.
3. Add sugar and mix and cook it for another 5 minutes. Add ghee and cardamom powder, Stir once and allow it cool in the same pan for 10 minutes.
4. Transfer to another plate ad knead little.
5. Grease your palm and roll the mixture into pedas. Decorate as you wish. (I used rangoli mold to get the impression on my peda.)