Keerai kootu is one of the simplest and comforting dish which taste great with steamed rice. You can use any variety of keerai for this recipe and adjust spice level to your taste. This recipe is also for Srivalli's Blogging Marathon under " Cooking with colours" and I have chosen Green for today .. Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 29
¼ cup moong dhal
2 cups chopped spinach or any variety greens
½ cup chopped onions
½ cup chopped tomatoes
1 green chilies
¼ tsp turmeric powder
¾ red chili powder and coriander powder or curry powder
3 ~ 4 tbsp shredded coconut
½ tsp fennel seeds
1 tbsp oil
½ tsp mustard
½ tsp cumin
2 cloves crushed garlic
1 ~ 2 red chilli
1 string curry leaves
- Pressure cook moong dal for 2 whistle and set side.
- After pressure drops, remove the lid and add remaining ingredients th the cooked dal.
- Again pressure cook it for 1 more whistle not more than that and allow it to cool completely.
- Remove lid and add ground paste to the mixture and cook for 5 ~ 7 minutes over a medium heat. Adjust salt to taste.
- Heat oil in a skillet or kadai, add mustard seeds, allow it to splutter, add remaining ingredients one by one and roast for few seconds. Transfer to prepared curry and serve hot with steamed rice..