Kootu is a comforting recipe from South India. And it can be prepared in various method according to their family customs. Pal kootu belongs to mild kootu version which goes well with roti and plain rice. Try and explore the new taste..This goes to Blogging marathon # 28 under "Types of Kootus as made in Tamil Nadu ". Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 28
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 ~ 25 minutes
1 medium size Cauliflower
¼ cup moong dal
½ cup chopped onions
1 cup milk
salt to taste
3 green chillies, slit into two
5 tbsp grated coconut
½ tsp cumin
1 tbsp oil
½ tsp mustard seed
¼ tsp split urad dhal
¼ tsp cumin seeds
Curry leaves as needed
- Cut cauliflower into small florets, Wash thoroughly.
- Grind the grinding ingredients into fine paste.
- Cook Cauliflower with little salt and water. Turn off the heat once half cooked. Drain and allow it to cool.
- Pressure cook or cook moong dal in a open pan in medium heat with sufficient water.
- Heat oil in a pan, add seasoning ingredients one by one, after mustard seeds crackle.
- Add chopped onion and fry til it become soft.
- Add cooked cauliflower, moong dhal and coconut paste. Adjust water and salt as needed.
- Bring the mixture to boil, turn the heat to low and continue cooking the mixture for 5 minutes.
- Add milk and cook it in low heat( don't boil) for few seconds.
- Once the mixture thickens, turn of the heat, garnish with cilantro.
- Serve with rice or roti.