Preparation time: 10 ~ 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 ~ 40 minutes
Serves: 4 ~ 5
1 ½ ~ 2 cups of chopped spinach or any greens
½ cup of toor dhal
½ cup of onion
1 cup of chopped tomatoes
1~2 green chillies split into two
2 ~ 3 thick tamarind juice or to taste
¾ tsp curry powder or sambar powder
¼ tsp turmeric powder
water as required
Salt to taste
1 ~ 2 tbsp oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
½ tsp cumin seeds
2 pods crushed garlic
2 red chillies, broken into pieces
1 string curry leaves
- Wash and pressure cook dhal with turmeric powder and enough water to 2 ~ 3 whistle or till done.
- Turn of the heat and allow it to cool.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, let it splutter. Add cumin and crushed garlic and red chillies and saute it for a second.
- Add onion and saute for a while til it become soft and transparent. Then add chopped spinach and green chillies and saute for few seconds followed by chopped tomatoes. Stir it and allow it cook in low heat for a minutes or two.
- Add curry powder, salt and required water. Increase the heat to medium and cook for 3 ~5 minutes.
- When the mixture boils vigorously add tamarind juice continue to boil for a minute.
- Mean time, open the pressure pan lid and gently mash the dhal and transfer it to the boiling mixture.
- Adjust water and salt as needed.
- Lower the heat and continue to cook it for another 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and serve hot with steamed rice.