Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
Serves: 1 lb
3 cup rice flour
1 cup besan/ chick pea flour
1 tsp red Chili Powder or to taste
¼ tsp asafetida/hing
1 tsp vaamu/ ajwain
1 tbsp sesame seeds
2 tbsp oil
1 ½ tsp salt or to taste
Water as required
For deep frying
- Dry roast ajwain, powder it to a fine powder.
- In a mixing bowl, combine rice flour, besan, red chilli powder,hing, ajwain powder, sesame seeds and salt.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil, and add to the flour mixture. Mix it with a spoon.
- Add water little by little and knead it into smooth dough.
- Take the chakli mould with a star shaped plate. Smear oil inside the tube of the chakli mould. Fill sufficient portion of dough into the chakli mould and fix it.
- Mean time heat enough oil in a frying pan and spread a paper napkin in a plate and keep it ready.
- Press the murukku mould into spiral to form a chakkili on a plastic sheet or parchment paper. Repeat the same with remaining dough.
- When the oil is hot, Lower the heat and drop the prepared chakralu carefully.
- Increase the heat to medium and fry the chakralu. After few seconds the chakralu turns frim, then turn it other side using ladle and fry til it changes to golden brown color.
- Remove and transfer it to paper napkins. Cool completely before storing.
- Store it in a air tight container. Serve.
This recipe is going to Blogging Marathon under the theme " Traditional" and do check, Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 27