Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking 20 ~ 30 minutes
Serves: 12 ~ 16
Sourecs: Baking Cookbook
2 cups/300g all purpose flour
⅓ cup rice ground rice( see notes)/ ground blanched almonds or walnut
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground cloves
½ cup/ 100g sugar + extra to sprinkle
⅔ cup/ 150g cold salted butter or unsalted butter + ½ tsp salt
1 tbsp milk
1 cup/300g any fruit preserve ( jam) I used strawberry jam
- Preheat the oven to 400F/200C/gas 6. Line 9-inch square baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl combine all purpose flour, rice flour, cinnamon, cloves, sugar.
- Cut in the butter to the flour mixture until fine crumbs form.
- Stir in milk. Spoon three quarters of the dough into the prepared pan, pressing down firmly to form an even layer.
- Bake for 15 ~ 20 minutes, until firm and golden brown. Spread evenly with the fruit jam.
- sprinkle with remaining dough and extra sugar.
- Bake it for 5 ~ 10 minutes, until the topping is golden. Transfer to wire rack and cool completely in the pan. Cut and serve..
Notes: Dry fry the rice in a pan at medium heat until it changes color. Cool and grind it in a mixer or food processes to a coarse powder. Bake the bars for 5 more minutes to brown the crust. Almonds and walnut gives nice color then ground rice. I used ground rice for this recipe.
Line your pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper, leaving the edge of the foil above the rim of the pan on two opposite sides; grease foil in bottom of pan lightly. Bake bars as directed. When cool, use foil "handles" to remove the whole square from the pan.