1 cup urad dhal
1 ~ 2 minced green Chilli
1 tsp grated Ginger
Salt to taste
Oil For Frying
For curd mixture:
1.5 cups curd
½ cup milk
2 tsp grated Coconut
2 green chillies or to taste
¾ tsp cumin
6 nos cashews
1 tsp sugar
Red chilli powder as needed
Cumin powder as needed
Grated Carrot as needed
kaara Boondhis needed
Few minced cilantro/Coriander Leaves
½ tsp mustard seeds
¼ tsp asafoetida
Few curry leaves
Preparation for vadai: ( check here for medu vadai recipe)
- Soak urad dhal in water for 4 hours or atleast 2 hours, this will ensure to get smoother vadais.
- Strain and grind it to a smooth thick batter in a grinder with out adding water, if needed add 1 ~ 2 tsp of water.
- Transfer the batter to other bowl. Add minced green chillies, ginger, few minced cilantro and salt. Mix together and keep it aside or start frying immediately.
Preparation for Curd Mixture:
- Grind all ingredients under curd mixture expect curd together with little water to a smooth paste. You can use buttermilk instead of water.
- Add curd to the ground mixer and gently whip it to mix everything. add salt and sugar to taste. This mixture will be thick, add room temperature milk to get the correct consistency i.e Mixture should not be too thick or thin.
- Season with seasoning ingredients and refrigerate until use.
- Heat oil in a pan in a medium heat, add little batter to the oil to check it is ready or not. if the batter comes up right away, then oil is ready then start frying, if not wait for few seconds and do the test again.
- Take small portion of batter on a banana leaf or plastic cover, gently pad the batter and make hole in the middle and gently take it out from the leaf and fry it in the oil. Fry 4 ~ 5 vadais at a time depend upon the oil and pan size. Continue the same with rest of the batter.
- Meanwhile boil 4 cups of water with little salt in a saucepan allow it to boil, switch off the flame and dip the vadai one by one in water for 6-8 seconds and take it out and gently press . Arrange it on a wide plate or on a tray.
- Pour curd mixture on the arranged vadais and sprinkle little red chilli powder, cumin powder. Garnish with kaara bondhi, grated carrots, and minced cilantro. Serve immediately or refrigerate until serving with our garnishing it.
- Don't use sour curd and fresh curd is best.
- Thayir vadai taste best when served chill.
- Garnishing can be change to your choice but make sure it happens before serving..