Preparation time: 4 hours
Cooking time: 45 minutes ~ 60 minutes
Serves: 4~ 5
1 Cup Chana Dal/Chickpea/Bengal gram lentil
¾ Cup Ghee
½ Cup Sugar
2.5 Cup Whole Milk
2 Cardamom powder
6-7 Almonds (chopped)
- Wash and soak chana dhal for in 2 cups of water for 4 hours
- Boil the soaked dal in 1 Cup of water until its just done or pressure cook it for 2 whistle on high heat than simmer it for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and drain extra water. let it cool completely.
- Mash the boiled dhal with back of spoon to make grainy paste or grind it into coarse paste with little water.
- Heat ghee in heavy bottom pan, add mashed dhal and fry on medium heat 15 ~ 20 minutes or until raw smell disappear and ghee ooze out from the dhal.
- Now add ½ Cup milk and fry on high heat till it get dry. Again add ½ cup milk and fry.
- Repeat this until all milk is used.
- Finally mix in cardamom powder,sugar with chopped almonds and fry on high heat for another 5 minutes.
- Serve hot or simply spread on plate and sprinkle some extra chopped nuts.Let it cool down completely.Cut in desired shape,transfer in air-tight container and store in fridge.
90 % cooked dhal will ensure to get grainy paste after grinding which will give a nutty texture as we get in Badam/Almond halwa..
Initially frying of the dhal will take some time, say above 20 minutes which is worth in doing.