Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 10 ~ 15 minutes
Serves : 2 ~ 3
1 cup vermicelli / Semia
½ cup chopped onion
¼ cup chopped tomatoes
4 medium size green chillies or to taste
1 ½ cups water
2 tbsp minced cilantro
Salt to taste
1 tbsp oil + 1 tbsp ghee
½ tsp mustard seeds
½ tsp cumin
1 tsp channa dal
1 tsp whole urad dal
¼ tsp Asafoetida / Hing
½ tsp minced ginger( optional)
- Break the vermicelli into small pieces.
- Chop the onion, tomato and green chillies and keep it aside.
- Heat 1 tsp of ghee and roast semia/ vermicelli to slight golden brown color. Turn off the heat and transfer to other plate.
- In a same pan, heat oil and ghee. Add mustard seeds, allow it to splutter, then add remaining seasoning ingredients one by one and fry till dal changes the color.
- Add chopped onions, green chillies, curry leaves and fry till onion become soft then add chopped tomatoes and cook it for a minutes.
- Add water and salt. Allow it to boil.
- Add roasted semia to the boiling water in one hand and mix the mixture in other hand with help of spatula.
- Lower the heat and cook it for 5 to 7 minutes until done. Add cilantro and mix gently.
- Turn off the heat and transfer to serving plate. Serve with any spicy chutney of your choice.