This month Baking partners has been challenge and interesting for everyone, it was very interactive and informative month which helped most of us to know each other. Thanks to Swathi for giving this wonderful opportunity to make macarons. Making macarons is not new for me but still every time consistency is very important to make these recipe. And I am happy to say that my output repeatedly well..
Preparation time: 30 minutes ~ 40 minutes
Resting time: ½ hour to 1 hour
Cooking time: 20 minutes @ 300 degree F
Serves: 40 ~ 45 macaroons
Source: youtube video
1 cup/ 125g icing sugar (180ml) confectioners' sugar
¾ cup/75g almond flour
2 large aged egg whites, 60g egg whites (60ml) (¼ c.)
Pinch of cream of tartar
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon/20g/30ml superfine sugar
PREPARATION FOR BLANCHED ALMOND POWDER
- Place the almonds in a bowl and combine with water. Let soak for 8-12 hours, or overnight. Blanch the soaked almonds (or)
- Microwave on high for 1 ~ 3 minutes and blanch the soaked almonds.
- Dry the blanched almond at room temperature for a day or two.
- Grind the almonds in a food processor or another device until a find powder.
- Sieve it to remove bigger particles and grind it into fine powder. Now your homemade almond powder is ready to use.
PREPARATION FOR MACAROONS
- Sift both sugar and almond flour together for minimum 2 times to make it more finer and make sure no bigger particle in our mixture.
- Whisk whites with a mixer on medium speed until foamy. Add cream of tartar, and whisk until soft peaks form.
- Reduce speed to low, and then add superfine sugar. Increase speed to high, and whisk until stiff peaks form, about 8 minutes.
- Add sifted flour mixture over whites, and fold gently until mixture is smooth and shiny.
- Transfer batter to a pastry bag fitted with a ½-inch plain round tip, and pipe ¾-inch rounds 1 inch apart on parchment-lined baking sheets, dragging pastry tip to the side of rounds rather than forming peaks. Tap bottom of each sheet on work surface for 3 ~ 4 times to release trapped air.
- Let stand at room temperature for ½ hour to 1 hour.
- At the end of your macaron resting time ( 15 minutes), Preheat the oven to 300 degree F.
- Bake 1 sheet at a time at the top rack, rotating halfway through, until macarons are crisp and firm, about 20 minutes. Do the same with rest of the macarons.
- Let macarons cool on sheets for 2 to 3 minutes, and then transfer to a wire rack. (If macarons stick, spray water underneath parchment on hot sheet. The steam will help release macarons.)
- Sandwich 2 same-size macarons with 1 teaspoon filling. Serve immediately, or stack between layers of parchment, wrap in plastic, and freeze for up to 3 months.
Check here For Ganache Filling..
Suggestions for perfect macaroons:
- Sieve the almond flour and sugar for get even macarons.
- Aging the eggs places a important role in making macarons. For Aging, separate the egg whites and keep it in fridge for 24 hours to 48 hours.
- Use whites directly from refrigerator for whipping, which will help to form stiff peak.i.e. it should be in shaving form consistency.
- Fold gently until both the mixture combined well ( 50 strokes). If it is under mix then there is chance of cracks.
- Another way of checking for correct consistency is drop a spoon full of batter on the plate, the peak must disappear in 10 sec or fold again for 2 ~ 5 strokes and try the test again, dropped peak must disappear in 10 sec as shown in third picture. If you get the test correctly, transfer the batter to piping bag and start piping.
- After piping rest the macarons at room temperature for 30 minutes to one hour.i.e. when you touch the macarons it should not stick to your finger and must be dry which will give nice feet to your macarons.
- Always place the piped macarons on the top rack of the oven and keep an eye on the oven temperature which may spoil your macarons.
- Maintain the correct temperature in oven to avoid cracks on top of the macarons since it needs the heat to transform through the bottom of the it to form a nice feet and shine top.
This recipe goes to Baking Partners..
Here are the others treat for this month challenge..