Happy Pongal greetings to you all. I want to make this pongal bit healthy this time, so I used Quinoa. This is the 1st time I tried to substibute rice with Quinoa in sweet pongal and I was very curious to see the outcome. Without any compromization the output was amazing. Pongal got disappeared within few minutes from the bowl. Try this recipe it will be a sure win for you. Let get into the recipe now:
Total time: 30 ~ 35 minutes
Cooking: 30 ~ 35 minutes
No of serving: 4 ( below measurements gives approximately 1 lb/ /500g pongal)
½ cup quinoa / varagu arasi
¼ cup moong dhal
¾ cup ~ 1 cup jaggery as per taste
1 cup milk
1 cup of water + ¼ cup of water
½ tsp cardamom powder
2 tbsp ghee
1 tbsp broken cashews or as needed
1 tsp raisins
- Wash moong dhal and quinoa in a pressure pan.
- Pour 1 cup of milk and 1 cup of water to the moong dhal quinoa mixture and pressure cook it for 2 whistle in medium heat or you an cook it in open pan till it become soft( same as how we cook rice)
- Open the pan after pressure drops and mash the mixture with spatula.
- In separate pan add jaggery and water to boil to 2 minutes.
- Remove the jaggery syrup and directly filter the syrup to cooked quinoa mixture.
- Mix well and cook it on the medium - low heat. Fry cashew and raisin in 2 tbsps ghee.
- When pongal mixture bubbles up, add Cardamon and fried cashews. Turn of the heat and transfer to serving bowl and serve..