Total time: 45 minutes.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Soaking time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Makes 12 idlies
Recipe sources: Padhus Kitchen
¾ cup oats ( I used old fashioned rolled oats)
½ cup rawa/ sooji
1 cup of curd
¼ tsp + a pinch of baking soda
Salt as required
Water as required
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
½ tsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp channa dal
1 tbsp urad dal
Cashew as required (optional)
2 green chillies, chopped or to taste
1 carrot, finely shredded
Required curry leaves & cilantro
- Dry roast both oats and rawa separately for 3~4 minutes in medium heat. Allow it to cool and grind oats into fine powder.
- In oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, Allow it to splutter and add remaining ingredients and fry till raw smell disappear from carrot.
- In a mixing bowl, add roasted oats, rawa, baking soda, and curd. Mix it. Then add seasoning and mix it well.
- Add required amount of water to idly batter consistency and rest it for 15 minutes.
- Bring water to boil in idli pan, meanwhile grease the mould with little oil or ghee and pour ladle full of batter in each bowl and steam it for 20 minutes in medium heat. Turn off the heat and wait for 5 minutes.
- Cool the idly plate and take the idli from the mould and serve with any chutney and sambar.