Today, I am going to share very easy and simple basic upma recipe which can be done with in 30 minutes. Taste great with coconut chutney and sambar..
Total time: 30 ~ 32 minutes
Preparation time: 5 ~ 7 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Yield: 4 serving
1 cup Sooji/semolina/rawa
1 small onion chopped
1 small tomato chopped
2 ~ 3 green chillies or to taste
1 ¾ cups ~ 2 cups of water
Salt to taste
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp of ghee
½ tsp mutard seeds
1 tbsp Channa dhal
1 tbsp urad dhal
⅛ tsp hing
¼ tsp minced ginger
curry leaves as required
- In a pan or kadai, heat the ghee & fry rawa in low heat until it turns grainy or light golden colour & transfer to other plate or bowl and keep it ready.
- Chop onion and tomatoes and keep it aside.
- In a Same Pan, heat oil in a medium heat. Add mustard seeds and allow it to splutter.
- Then add both the dhals and fry till it turns to slight brown color. Now add rest of the seasoning ingredients one by one and saute for few seconds.
- Add chopped onions, green chillies and salt. Saute for a minute, then add chopped tomatoes and mix.
- Add required amount of water and bring the mixture to boil.
- Lower the heat and add rawa little by little, stir continuously to avoid lumps.
- When all the moisture is absorbed, cover the pan and cook it in low heat for 5 minutes.
- Serve with chutney, sambar or sugar..
- Roasted rawa will consume 1 ¾ cups ~ 2 cups of water depends upon the roasted texture.
- Increase oil if needed but don't decrease it which tends to soggy upma.
- Unroasted rawa can also be used but have to keep a eye on water amount.