Rasagulla / Rosogulla is a popular bengali sweet in India made out of cottage cheese/ paneer which is cooked in sugar syrup.. It is so easy and simple to prepare which is base for many indian sweets like rasamalai, chum chum, Chenna payash etc.. Try this delightful sweet for Diwali and make more memorable..
Total time: 1 hour 15 minutes.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Resting time: 30 ~ 40 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Serves: 17 ~ 20 rasagullas depends upon the size.
4 cups of milk
¼ cup of warm water
2 tbsp lemon juice or vinegar
4 cups of water
1 ½ cups of sugar
2 tbsp all purpose flour/ maida (optional)
- In a heavy bottom pan, bring milk to boil.
- Add lemon water mixture and mix well.
- Milk starts to curdle, cook it for 4 to 5 minutes until yellowish whey seen and curd separates completely.
- Drain the curdled mixture using a cheese cloth to separate curd and whey.
- Hold it under the running water for a minute. Squeeze water from the paneer and hang it to remove excess water from the paneer for about 30 minutes.
- Check paneer consistency for making any sweets by rubbing little piece of paneer on your palm and rub with your fingers to make a firm and smooth ball. If not squeeze excess water or it too dry / scramble, then add few drops of water and check for the consistency.
For more picture and details for making paneer...Check the recipe HOW TO MAKE PANEER.
- Knead the prepared paneer in to smooth dough by adding 2 tbsp of all purpose flour/ maida.
- Divide the paneer dough into 17 ~ 20 equal parts and roll them to balls by applying little pressure to get smooth balls with out any cracks.
- Meantime boil water and sugar in a pressure pan or in a wide open pan on a medium heat.
- Add required amount of paneer balls depends upon the pressure pan size because rasagullas will tends to double its volume while cooking in the syrup.
- Close the pressure pan with lid and cook it for 7~8 minutes or till 2 whistles. In a open pan , cover the pan with lid and cook it for 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and allow it to cool for 5 minutes or show cooker under the running water before opening.
- Transfer to other bowl and refrigerate before serving.
Note: Kneading the paneer dough is a key factor for best rasagullas.
Store bought paneer doesn't work for making rasagullas. Home made is best.
Rasagullas can also be prepared without maida.