Diwali is around the corner and everyone is preparing for the occasion...It is not only festival of lights but its a festival of sweets, There will be a variety of sweets, milk based sweets, rice sweets, besan sweets etc..but diary based sweets always holds its top place in all occasions..So I thought to share paneer recipe which is base for most Indian sweets and savories...
Total time: 35 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Resting time: 25 ~ 35 minutes
Makes: 20 ~ 22 small cubes as shown in picture
4 cups of milk
2 tbsp lemon juice or vinegar
¼ cup of warm water
- Mix lemon juice, water together and keep it aside.
- Heat milk in a heavy bottom pan in a medium heat.
- When milk starts to boil, pour in lemon mixture to the milk and mix well.
- Reduce the heat and stir continuously until the milk is completely curdled.
- When whey turns to yellowish and completely separate from curds, turn off the heat.
- Drain the mixture through cheese cloth placed in a colander.
- Hold it under the running water for a minute to remove the lemon flavor.
- Then squeeze out the excess water and hang the muslin or place it under the heavy weight for 20 ~ 30 minutes to remove the excess whey.
For Paneer Cubes:
- After 30 minutes, remove the paneer from the muslin cloth and knead for 5 minutes or till it form into smooth dough.
- Refrigerate the panner in greased bowl( rectangle or round bowl as needed). Remove from the bowl and cut it into required thickness cubes. Store it in a freezer for a month..