NAVRATRI / DASARA is a longest Indian Hindu fesival that is celebrated in various ways across the country. I think most of us know the stories of durga beheading Mahisasur or Lord Rama's victory over Ravana. The word Navratri literally means nine nights in Sanskrit Nav is nine and Ratri is nights. It is celebrated during the end of September or beginning of October, depending on Hindu lunar calendar, all eight days and nine nights have its importance.
During these nine holy days, each day goddess Durga Mata is worshiped in different Avatara.
First day of Navratri – Mata Shailaputri
Second day of Navratri – Mata Brahmacharini
Third day of Navaratri – Mata Chandrakanta
Fourth day of Navaratri – Mata Kushmanda
Fifth day of Navratri – Mata Skandamata
Sixth day of Navratri – Mata Katyayani
Seventh day of Navratri – Mata Kaalratri
Eighth day of Navaratri –Mata Maha Gauri
Ninth day of Navaratri – Mata Siddhidatri
and Tenth day of Navratri is Vijayadasami / Dasara
For more details check it here
In southern part of India, navratri is celebrating by displaying GOLU. This is exhibition of various dolls and fingures in odd numbered tiers/ padi like 7,9,11 which is associated with worship of divine mother across nine nights. For more informations check it here
Ingredients for spicy version sundal
Roast and grind in to powder
- Clean and wash the beans/ peas.
- Soak the dry beans or peas with sufficient water to over night or upto 6 ~ 7 hours.
- Cook the beans/ peas with enough water and pressure cook it for 2 whistle or on a open pot till it become soft.
- Drain the water completely and reserve the water for other use. Allow the beans to cool.
- Clean and wash the lentils and soak it for 2 hours for channa dal and moong dhal. For whole green dhal soak it for 6 ~ 7 hours or over night.
- Cook it in open pot till they become soft.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, let it splutter then add urad dhal and fry for few seconds.
- Add remaining ingredients one by one and saute for few seconds. Now add cooked legumes and stir for few seconds and transfer to serving bowl..
- Dry roast masala ingredients and grind it into coarse powder.
- In the same pan, heat oil and add mustard seeds, let it splutter then add urad dhal and fry for few seconds.
remaining ingredients one by one and saute for few seconds. Now add
cooked legumes and stir for few seconds and transfer to serving bowl..
- Add little water just enough to soak jaggery. Melt it in medium low heat and filter the impurities.
- Bring jaggery mixture to boil and no need for string consistency but syrup must be sticky.
- Add lentils to the syrup and cook till water evaporates from the mixture.
- Add coconut, cardamom powder and ghee. Mix well and transfer to serving bowl and serve.
I prepared garbanzo beans masala sundal, Chana dal sundal, White and green peas sundal, Rajma masala sundal, Peanut sundal, Karamani vella sundal, Pasiparuppu sweet puttu, Whole moong sundal....