Today I am going to share one of the most requested recipe from my friend circle and as well as from my readers.. This traditional eggplant gravy from Mughlai cuisinie is a great accompany for any briyani variety. This rich sauce gives unique flavor and taste. Hope there is no need for any introduction for this delicious gravy..
Total time: 20 minutes
Prepartion time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
6 medium size eggplant
¼ cup chopped pearl onion
¼ tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp chili powder
1 cup tamarind pulp from gooseberry size tamarind
1 cup of water or as required
Salt to taste
1 tbsp black sesame seeds
1 tbsp fenugreek seeds
1 tbsp peanuts
3 tbsp sesame oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tbsp whole peppercorns
1 tsp cumin seeds
Required curry leaves
- Dice eggplant into four, lengthily with out trimming its head and immerse it in water till use, to avoid decolourization.
- Dry roast sesame seeds till they splutter, transfer and allow it to cool.
- Dry roast remaining grinding ingredients one by one till they slightly change color. cool and grind all the three ingredients in to fine powder, keep it aside.
- Soak tamarind in warm water for 5 minutes and extract juice from it by adding required amount of water.
- Strain the juice, Discard seed and fiber from the tamarind.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan at medium heat. add seasoning ingredients one by one. Allow it to splutter.
- Add onions and saute till it become soft. Then add eggplant and saute well.
- Pour tamarind pulp along with turmeric powder, red chilli powder and salt. Bring to boil in medium heat.
- When mixture boils vigorously, add remaining 1 tbsp oil.
- Adjust salt and spice to taste
- Lower the heat and add ground powder and mix well to avoid lumps.
- Boil the mixture till oil separates from the gravy..
- Enjoy with Briyani or with white rice..