Today, I am sharing very simple and comforting South India recipe which I used to make very often. Perfect combo with any spicy gravy... Cabbage, Snake ground can also be used instead of Ridge ground.
Total time: 15 minutes
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Source: My Mom
1 medium size ridge gourd / Chinese okra
¼ cup moong dhal
¼ cup chopped onion
1 green chili
¼ cup chopped tomato
⅛ turmeric powder
½ tsp curry powder or to taste
2 tbsp coconut past (optional)
Salt to taste
Water as required
1 tbsp oil
½ tsp mustard seeds
¼ tsp urad dhal
1 red chili
1 string curry leaves
1 tbsp minced cilantro
- Wash and peel the skin and preserve the skin.
- Chop in to required size. Chop tomato, onion and green chili and keep it aside.
- Grind the coconut in to fine paste.
- Wash and pressure cook moong dal
along with all ingredients except coconut paste and salt with required
amount of water for one whistle in medium heat. Immediately take it off
from the heat to avoid over cooking.
- Open the pan lid after pressure drops, add salt and coconut paste. Mix well.
- If needed add water to required consistency and adjust salt to taste. Cook it for 2 minutes in low heat. Stir in between.
- Season with seasoning ingredients as listed and add to the curry.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with any spicy rice..