1 cup raw rice
1 cup parboiled rice
¼ cup urad dhal
½ tsp fenugreek seeds
¼ tsp baking soda / cooking soda for every 1 cup of fermented batter.
Salt to taste
Water as required
- Combine first four ingredients together and wash 3 ~ 4 times
- Soak with sufficient water for 2 hours.
- Strain the water and use it for grinding.
- Grind the soaked ingredients in to fine paste with required amount of water.
- Add salt and using your hand mix batter thoroughly. Ferment for 8 ~ 10 hours or leave it overnight.
- After 8 hours batter should have risen to double the original quantity and also with foam at the top.
- Mix the fermented batter and dilute it with required amount of water and it should be little thinner than dosa batter.
- Before making appam, dilute baking soda with 2 tsp of water and mix it to the batter.
- Heat appam pan or non stick wok in medium heat and grease it with little oil.
- Whisk and take ladle full of batter and pour it in center of the pan,
- Immediately swirl the pan so that batter gets coated on the sides of the pan.
- Cover the pan and cook it for 3 ~ 4 minutes.
- When it is lacy and crispy on its edges and thick & spongy at the bottom, remove from the pan and serve with Stew or coconut milk..
- 1 tsp of sugar can be added to the batter to give nice golden color appam.
- You can freeze the remaining batter for 2 ~ 3 weeks which will give better result.
- I added ¾ cup of water to dilute 2 cups of fermented batter before making appam.
- Can add coconut milk instead of water to dilute the batter.
Total time: 5 ~ 7 minutes
Preparation time: 5~7 minutes
2 cups coconut pieces
2 ~ 4 cups of water
1 cup sugar or lesser or taste
¼ tsp of cardamom powder
A pinch of salt
- Grind coconut pieces with 1 ~2 cups of water.
- Strain, ground mixture through strainer or cheese cloth.
- Squeeze thick milk from the mixture and grind the residue again with 1 cup of warm water.
- Again strain thin coconut milk from the ground mixture and strain as well. Adjust milk consistency as required.
- Add required amount of sugar as needed and mix well.
- Finally add pinch of salt and cardamom powder to the milk and mix again.
- Serve with hot Aappam.