Total time: Less than 30 minutes.
Preparation time: 10
Cooking time: Less than 20 minutes
Serves: 5 ~ 6
1 lb Lamb kidney
2 medium size onion
1 small size tomato
1 green chilies split into two
1 ½ tsp minced ginger
1 ½ tsp minced garlic
½ tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp red chili powder
2 tsp coriander powder
or 2 tsp kuzhambu milagai thool/curry powder or to taste
1 tsp garam masala
2 tbsp minced cilantro
¼ cup water
1 tbsp lemon juice
salt to taste
3 tbsp oil
1 tsp ghee
1 bay leaf
2 cloves, 2 cardamom, 2" inch Cinnamon stick
1 tsp fennel seed
Curry leaves as required.
- Wash, chop both onions and tomato separately and keep it aside.
- Cut green chili into two and mince both ginger and garlic.
- Clean, wash kidney with 1 tbsp of lemon juice and cut in to two halves or to bite size pieces.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan. Add seasoning ingredients one by one and fry it for few seconds.
- Add chopped onion and saute it for few minutes in medium heat till it become pink and transparent.
- Throw in green chili, minced garlic and ginger, saute for a minute.
- Add kidney pieces and tomato and gently stir.
- After a minute, add turmeric powder, chili powder, coriander powder and salt. Gently mix.
- Stir it for another 2 minutes and then add ¼ cup of water or required amount of water.
- Cook covered on medium heat till kidney pieces are almost done.
- Adjust salt and spice to taste.
- Add garam masala, and cook uncover for another few minutes, till water evaporates and oil leaves the side of the mixture.
- Transfer it to serving bowl and garnish with cilantro.
- Serve with Rice or roti.