This pickle recipe is a foolproof one from my mum's kitchen and I glad to share this with you all. We used to prepare it for every summer and store it for rest of the year. Try & Njoy..
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Number of servings: 300 to 500 depends on the size of the spoons.
Spice level: ⅗ (this may vary depends on sourness of the mango)
½ tsp turmeric powder
4 tbsp of salt to taste
1 tbsp of fenugreek seeds
¼ tsp of Asafoetida/ hing
50 nos whole red chillies
1 tsp of mustard seeds
- Wash and wipe mangoes with soft clean cloth and dry it thoroughly. Cut it in to desired size pieces and discard the seeds.
- Slightly Dry roast pickle masala ingredients one by one separately and grind it together into coarse powder using dry grinder or coffee grinder.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and allow it to splutter.
- Turn off the heat and cool the seasoning oil completely.
- Mix prepared masala powder, turmeric powder, salt and cubed mangoes together in a large bowl with hand till all the mango pieces are well coated with spices.
- Mix half of the oil to the mixture and transfer it to dry, air tight container.
- Pour in the remaining oil over the pickle till it covers the mango pickle mixture and 2" inch above the mixture.
- Cover with the lid and set it for 3 or 4 days.
- Serve it with curd or any rice.
- Always use raw sour mangoes and it should be tight and firm.
- Never use wet ingredients or wet spoons which will spoil the pickle easily.
- Always make sure oil cover the pickle, where this oil layer work as a preservative.
- Use dry spoon for serving the pickle and press the mango pieces gently in the jar to form the oil layer over the pickle before storing the pickle again.
- Adjust spice and salt level according to your taste and mango sourness.
- Prepared pickle can be good to consumed after 5 days or before that depends upon your taste.
- Can be stored for minimum 3 months to a year in a room temperature depends upon the oil level which covers the pickle.
- Additional oil can be used when pickle dries out in a long term but oil must be boiled and cooled before adding to the pickle to increase the self life of the pickle.