For masal powders:
- Heat oil in a pan or a kadai in medium heat, Throw in cubed eggplant, saute for an minute.
- Reduce the heat, cover the pan and saute the eggplant till it become soft & glossy. it will take approx 6~8 minutes.
- Remove the eggplant from the heat and keep it aside for later use.
- In the same kadai, add 1 tbsp of oil. Add mustard seeds, allow it to splutter then add remaining seasoning ingredients and saute for a 30 seconds.
- Add onions and saute it till it become transparent then add garlic and saute it for an minute.
- Now add the eggplant and mix well. Then add chopped tomatoes and saute it till it become soft or oil leaves the side of the mixture.
- Now add all masala powder and mix well. add tamrind water mix well. then add remaining 1 ~ 1 ½ cups of water or as required.
- Allow it to boil, adjust salt to taste.
- When gravy reduced to required consistency or oil sperates from the gravy, trun off the heat.
- Serve hot with steamed rice with kutoo & thogayal.
Small round tender brinjals - 10 ~12 ( cut into pieces with or without stem)
Peeled small onions - 1 cup
Tamarind paste - 1 tbsp
Oil - 1 tbsp,
Salt- to taste
Red chillies - 5~6
Tur dhal - 1 tsp
Gram dhal - 1 tsp
Urad dhal - 1 tsp
Khus khus - 1 tsp
Grated coconut - ¼ cup
For Seasoning :
Oil - 1 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Curry leaves - few
- Roast the grinding ingredients in 1 tsp of oil one by one with out burning. Allow it cool and grind into fine paste.
- Mix tamarind paste with 1 cup of water and salt.
- In a pan, heat 1 tbsp oil , fry eggplants for 7 ~ 8 minutes and keep it aside.
- In a same pan add 1 tsp of oil and add listed seasoning ingredients, let it splutter.
- Add onions, fry till onion changes colour then add fried eggplant and mix well.
- Add tamarind water, ground paste , a cup of water and make it up to required thickness.
- Allow it boil in low heat till it reduce to required consistency.
- Garnish it with minced cilantro and serve hot with rice, dosa, ildy..