Chicken marinated by special Yogurt sauce & cooked in this oven is said to be Tandoori chicken.
It oriented from India & now popular in most part of the world. For more interesting details check this link.
The recipe given here gives very moist & juicy chicken with spice level of 3.5 out of 5 being the max. You can add or less the spice according to your taste. So what you are waiting for, start cooking & enjoy with family & friends.
Chicken whole - 800gms / 2 pounds
Oil / Oil spray or butter - For drizzling
Masala ingredients #1
Lemon juice - 3 tbsp
Red chilli powder - ½ tsp
Salt - To taste
Oil - ½ tsp
Masala ingredients #2
Oil - 2tbsp
Ajwain / Tymol seeds- ½tsp
Gram Flour / Besan / Chic pea flour - 4 tbsp
Masala ingredients #3
Yogurt - 1 cup
Ginger garlic paste - 2tsp each
Red chilli powder - 1tsp
Garam masala powder - ½tsp or to flavor
Mustard seed powder - ¼ tsp
Any cooking oil - 2tbsp
Red food color - A pinch
Salt - To taste
- Remove the skin, clean and wash chicken.
- Using a sharp knife, make incisions on the chicken breast, legs and thighs as shown in the picture. Mean while make a cut in joint bones of the chicken.
- With your hands, apply masala # 1 over the chicken and in between the cuts. Let it marinate for ½ an hour.
- Heat oil in a pan or kadai, add ajwain. Let it splutter.
- Add Chic pea flour and stir continuously for a minute or till you get nutty flavor of the flour. Keep it aside.
- Mix all ingredients in masala list 3.
- To this add prepared chic pea mixture(masala #2) and mix well. Adjust salt to taste.
- Apply this masala over the chicken and between the cuts. Marinate for 5~ 6 hours in a refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven at 400 degree F for 10 minutes.
- Spray oil on the baking tray and place the marinated chicken on the tray.
- Brush or spray oil over the chicken & place in oven.
- Change Oven temperature setting from 400 degree F to Broiler setting and cook chicken for 30 minutes or til done. ( Brush or Spray oil over the chicken in between).
- Remove chicken from the oven and allow it cool.
- Cut chicken into four pieces as shown in below picture or as per your requirment. Enjoy with mint chutney & lemon.