Raw Rice - 1 cup
Moong dhal - ½ cup
Turmeric powder - A pinch
Water - 3 ½ cups ~ 4 cups
Salt - To Taste
Grated Ginger - 1 tsp
Green chili - 1
Oil + Ghee = 3 tbsp ~ 4 tbsp(2:1)
Black pepper corns ( crushed or whole) = 1 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Asafoetida - ¼ tsp
Broken Cashew - As required
Curry leaves - As required.
- Wash Rice and Dhal & crush Ginger and Chilies.
- Pressure cook Rice, Dhal, Turmeric powder, crushed Chilies & Ginger along with Salt with 4 cups of water in medium heat for 4whistle.
- When pressure drops in the cooker, remove the lid.
- Heat a kadai or skillet with oil and ghee, roast cashew & keep it aside.
- In the same oil, add seasoning ingredients as listed, let it splutter.
- Add seasoning and cashew to pongal.
- Mix well to mash the rice and dhal to get a creamy texture.
- If need add ½ cup of hot water. Adjust salt to taste.
Medium size egg plant - 4 ~ 5( chopped)
Moong dhal - 3 tbsp
Onions - 1 (big- chopped)
Tomatoes - 3 (chopped)
Green chilies - 2 or to taste
Curry powder - ½ tsp
Turmeric powder - 1
Salt - To taste
Cilantro - As required
Oil - 1 tbsp
Mustard Seeds - ½ tsp
Urad dhal - 1 tsp
Red chilies - 1
Garlic - 2 pods (crushed)
Curry Leaves - As required
- In a pressure pan add finely chopped Eggplant, Onions, Tomatoes, Green chilies, Curry powder, Turmeric powder, minced cilantro, moong dhal with 1 cup of water & pressure cook it for 2 ~ 3 whistle.
- After 10 minutes, Open the pan & drain the water completely from the cooked mixture and keep it aside.
- Using hand blender or potato masher, mash the pulp. Now pour drained water to this pulp & mix it.
- Add & adjust salt to taste.
- Season as given & add to gotsu.
- Serve hot with pongal.
Note: Curry powder is optional, you can avoid it by adding extra green chilies. 1tsp of Tamarind juice can be used if tomato is not sore. Small eggplant will be good for this gotsu. If gotsu is watery then boil till it reaches correct consistency. I love to add curry powder & moong dhal in my gotsu it will stands for it taste.