Urad dhal - 1 cup
Cabbage - 1 cup ( shredded thinly)
Green chilies - 6 (minced)
Ginger - 1 inch (minced)
Hing - A big pinch
Curry leaves - As required (minced)
Salt - To Taste
Oil - For deep frying
- Soak urad dhal for 30 minutes, drain it for ½ hour to 1 hour. Make sure urad dhal is moist not wet.
- Grind the dhal into rava consistency with out adding much water.( I used only 3 tsp of water to grind it).
- Add ground urad dhal & remaining ingredients except oil and mix it to a thick batter.
- Make sure Batter is uniform & should be in consistency to hold & pat it in hands.
- Mean while heat oil in pan & take small ball form the batter & pat it into small flat disc on the polythene bag or on a plantain leaf and deep fry.
- In between flip the vadai until golden brown color or crisp. Serve with chutney.
Note: Grinding urad dhal into rava consistency will make vadai more crisper. Using food processor will be easier than grinding in blender or mixi. Since cabbage tends to induces more water, no additional water is required. Little rice flour can be used, if batter becomes watery. For large quantity, mix all ingredients except cabbage and divide it to batches.. then add required amount of minced cabbage to each batch before frying to vadai, this will make vadai uniform & crispy or else batter will become watery.