Last week, my friend Savitha's Mother in law came from India, She bought lot of home made snacks where Savi shared some of those. In which I am very much attracted to Maida biscuits ( will post it soon) & Thattai which was differently prepared from my method. I got this recipes from her mil & prepared this.. It is soo crispy & tasty..
Parboiled rice /Idly rice - 2 cups
Fried gram – 1 cup
Garlic- 2~3 pods
Hing - ¼ tsp
Soaked channa dhal- 2tbsp
Soaked Split urad dhal- 2tbsp
Sesame seeds - 2 tsp
Dried red chilli- 7~8 or to tastes
Salt as needed
Oil to deep fry
- Wash and soak the rice for 2 hours or more.
- Grind them in a wet grinder with minimum amount of water to a fine paste then idly batter.
- Add chilli, peeled garlic pods and salt while grinding.
- Meanwhile powder fried gram dhal & sieve it.
- Once rice grinded finely, transfer to a mixing bowl, add fried gram dal powder, soaked chana dal, split urad dhal, sesame seed & hing.Mix it well
- Adjust spice & salt to taste.
- Knead to form a dough, Dough should not stick to your hand. If dough is little runny, then put it on a thick cotton towel and wrap it for an hour to absorb the excess moisture.
- Spread cotton towel over the flat surface, then grease your palm & take a small lemon size portion from the dough.
- Place this portion on the towel & gently press to flatten it to a thin to from a 2~3"circle. Do the same with rest of the dough & allow it to rest for 10 minutes or more to observe the water.
- Heat oil in a medium heat & drop the thattai one by one.
- Deep fry until it is brown and crispy. Store it in a airtight container and enjoy with tea.
Sending this to Aipi and Priya's "Bookmarked recipes" event