Garlic pods - 10 nos
Onion - 1 (medium)
Tomato - 1(medium)
Turmeric powder - ¼ tsp
Curry powder - 1 ½ tsp or to taste
(OR) Red chilli powder - 1 tsp or to taste & Corainder powder - 11/2 tsp or to taste
Tamarind juice - ¼ cup prepared from gooseberry size tamarind.
Water - 1 ~ 11/2cup or as required
Salt - To taste
Gingelly Oil / Sesame Oil or any cooking oil - 2tbsp
Mustard seeds - ½tsp
Split urad dhal - ⅛ tsp
Fenugreek seeds - ¼ tsp
Fennel seeds - ⅛ tsp
Red chili powder - 2 nos
Curry leaves - As required
Garlic pods - 5 nos (crushed)
- Heat Oil in a pan in medium heat, add Mustard seed, let it splutter & then add remaining seasoning ingredients as listed.
- Saute For a minute, then add chopped Onion & garlic pods. Add little salt to speed up the cooking process.
- Cook Onion & garlic until onion turns to glossy, then add chopped tomatoes.
- Saute it for a minutes & cover the pan, Cook tomatoes till it become soft. stir in between.
- Add Curry powder, Turmeric powder and salt, Mix well so that masala powder incorporates with onion, garlic mixture.
- When Oil separates from the mixture, add tamarind juice along with the 11/2 cups of water & mixwell.
- Adjust salt & spice to taste, Allow the gravy to boil in low heat for 10 ~15 minutes or cook till gravy reaches required consistency.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.