Basmati rice / Long grain rice - 2 cups
Onion - 3 ( medium, sliced lengthwise)
Tomato - 1 (medium, chopped)
Ginger Garlic paste - 1 tbsp
Paneer - 1. 2 cup (cut into large pieces ) optional
Mint & cilantro - 1 ½ cup,minced
Yogurt - ¾ cup
Saffron or orange food color - 4 ~ 5 drops
Turmeric powder - ¼tsp
Red chili powder - 2 tsp or to taste
Coriander powder -1 tsp or to taste
Salt - to taste
For Seasoning :
Oil - 4 tbsp
Ghee - 1 tbsp
Cinnamon stic -2 inch
Cardamon - 4
Bay leaves - 1
Fennel seeds - ½ tsp
Black cumin - ½ tsp
- Heat Oil in a pan, add all seasoning ingredients as listed expect ghee. Let it splutter.
- Add sliced onion & green chili & saute it until it turn transparent golden color as shown in pics. Add ginger garlic paste & saute until raw smell disappear. Stir continuously to avoid onion mixture to stick to the bottom.
- Then add all the veggies & saute it for 8~ 10 minutes in medium heat.
- Lower the heat, add all masala powder & curd & stir well. ( If you want Paneer then add in this stage.)
- When oil separates add chopped tomatoes & half of the mint & cilantro leaves. Mix well. After 5 minutes or when mixture comes to gravy consistency add remaining cliantro mint leaves & spread over the gravy.
- Mean while, boil 7~8 cups of water in high heat. when it boils vigorously add soaked rice, 1 tsp of oil & ½ tsp of salt. ( don't lower the heat)
- After 5 minutes or When rice boils, strain the water in a bowl & then add rice to the prepared briyani gravy and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle safforn water or food color water over the rice & cover with lid & dum with the hot rice starch water.
- Let it be in low heat for another 10 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- After 5 minutes, remove the lid. Add Ghee and mix gently with rice and gravy & serve hot with any raitha.