Generally Crabs are cooked in different ways, Recipe which I have given below is very easy to cook but preserves delicious taste with tempting aroma. Give a try & let me know your comments. Will post other crab entrees in future.
Crab - 1 pound / 500 gms
Cilantro for garnishing.
For masala paste:
Onion - 2 ( medium, cubed)
Tomato - 1 (medium,cubed)
Green chili - 1 or to taste
Ginger - 1" chopped
Garlic - 6~7 pods
Cumin - ½tsp
Pepper - ½tsp or to taste
Fennel seeds/ sombu - ½ tsp
Cilantro - ¼cup(minced)
Mint - ¼cup (minced)
Turmeric powder - ¼ tsp
Kuzhambu milagai thool - 11/2 tsp or to taste (or)
Red chili powder - 1 tsp or to taste
Corainder powder - ½ tsp or to taste
Salt - to taste
Water - ½ cup or as required.
Oil- 2 tbsp
Fennel Seed / Fennel seed powder - ½tsp
Curry leaves - As required.
- Grind all the masala paste ingredients together & adjust the salt to taste.
- Clean & wash crab and cut it in to desired size.
- In large bowl or in a Ziploc, add both masala paste & crab together.
- Mix well & Marinate it for atleast 2 hours or overnight in refrigerator( I usually keep it overnight, this will give nice aroma and juicy crab)
- Heat oil in a wide pan & add the seasoning ingredients as listed.
- Then add marinated crab to it & mix well.
- Cover with lid and let it cook in low heat for 15 ~ 20 minutes.
- Stir in between to avoid masala to burn at the bottom & there is no need to add extra water since crab itself tends to leaves extra water.
- Cook until masala thickens or oil starts to leaves the sides, If you want dry crab let it cook for another 10 minutes in medium heat.
- Adjust salt & pepper to taste. Transfer to serving bowl and garnish with cilantro. Serve hot..