Dear friends, I am very happy & wants to thank Srivalli for giving this lovely theme - "Kids friendly dishes" because the recipe which I have presented today has many memorable memories of my childhood. Yes has a kids, my sisters & myself enjoyed this recipe not only for taste but also for the cute appearance. When ever my mom used to prepare this, I share with my friends & very proud to receive lot of comments about my moms cooking..All those days disappeared & now I found the same excitement in my three year old son when I prepared this recipe for him. Sure all your kids will like & enjoy it...
Potatoes - 1 lb or 500g ( boiled & mashed)
Peas - ¼ cup ( cooked, I used frozen one)
Ginger Garlic paste - 1 tsp both
Red chili powder - 2tsp or to taste
Corainder powder - 1 ½ tsp or to taste
Chat masala - ½ tsp
Garam masala - ¼ tsp
Fennel seed powder - ½ tsp
Turmeric powder - A pinch
Amchur powder - ¼ tsp (optional)
Soy sauce - 1 tsp or required( I omitted amchur because of soya sauce)
Salt - to taste
For Coating 1:
All purpose flour or Maida - ½ cup
Corn flour - 2tbsp
Salt - as required
For coating 2:
Broken Vermicelli - 1cup
Oil - For deep frying
- Mix Mashed potatoes, ¾th of peas, all masala powder, soy sauce & salt. Adjust salt to taste.
- Knead it with out lumps as we do for chapati dough.
- Divide potato mixture in to equal size balls ( You will get 13 ~ 14 balls for this measurement) 7 keep it aside.
- Mix All purpose flour, corn flour, salt with required water and make it as thick batter as we do for bhaji batter.
- Take vermicellli in a plate or bowl & keep it ready.
- Gently press the balls to give nest like shape & make gentle thumb impression on middle of the ball.
- Dip potato balls in all purpose flour batter & roll it on vermicelli .
- Make sure vermicelli is coated on all sides & it is more uneven. ( don't shape the vermicelli, leave it as it coated.)
- Rest it in refrigerator for minimum 15 minutes to set.
- Heat oil in a pan or kadai & drop the prepared balls & fry till it turns golden brown colour.
- Sprinkle chat masala on rest of the peas & drop it in middle of the potato nest balls to make it to appear as a birds eggs.
- Serve with Tomato ketchup or Ranch..
(Note : you can add any vegetables like carrot, cabbage, beans, cauliflower etc.. just steam & mash it and follow the same procedure. You can use omapodi (sev) instead of vermicelli because for some kids feel vermicelli hurt small tooth )
Check out the 25 bloggers running the next 7 days for the Blogging Marathon!