Idly rice / Boiled rice -1cup
Raw rice - 1 cup
Urad dal - ½ cup
Fenugreek - 2tsp
Salt - to taste ( for fermenting)
Jaggery - 3 ~ 31/2 cups or to taste
Water - 2tbsp
Coconut flakes - 1 cup ( optional )
Broken Cashews - as required ( optional )
Raisins - as required ( optional)
Cardamon powder - ¼tsp
- Wash & soak rice, Dal, Fenugreek seeds together for 6 ~ 7 hours.
- Grind it into fine batter as we do for Appam batter.
- Add required salt & mix well using your hand and allow it ferment for 10 - 12 hours.
- Powder the jaggery & heat it adding 2 tbsp of water.
- Bring it to boil & make sure the is no jaggery cubes. Don't want any syrup consistency, we just want all jaggery to Melt
- Filter, melted jaggery directly to the batter with help of tea stainer to remove the dust from it.
- Add rest of the mixing ingredients to the batter & mix well, batter should be in running consistency neither too thick nor too thin.
- Heat & grease the kuzhi paniyaram with oil in medium low heat & drop landleful of batter in each holes.
- Drizzle required amount of oil over it & cover the pan.
- After 2 minutes, Remove the lid & flip it to other side. Do not cover this time & cook in low until it turn golden brown colour.
- Serve hot.
Check here for Kuzhi paniyaram recipe.