Chicken Salna / Shervaa makes an excellent side dish for Porotta which is very famous in all over Tamilnadu. It is a Soup with flavourful extract from chicken & spices. It is also known as Shorba in North India.
Chicken pieces with bones - 1 lb or 500 grams
Onion - 2 (medium - sliced thinly)
Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp each
Turmeric powder - A pinch
Green chili - 1( slit into two)
Cilantro & mint leaves - Ar required (minced)
Pepper powder - ¼tsp or to taste
Salt - to taste
Water - ar required.
For Shervaa masala paste:
Red chili powder - 2tbsp or to taste
Corainder powder - 1 tbsp or to taste
Garam masala powder - ½ tsp
Curd - ½ cup
Coconut slices - 5 ~6 ( grind into fine paste)
For Seasoning :
Oil - 2 tbsp
Fennel Seed or powder/ Sombu - ½ tsp
Bay leaves - 2
Cinnamon - 1"
- Wash & clean Chicken pieces and keep it aside.
- Grind coconut pieces into fine paste & add to masala ingredient together in a bowl & whisk throughly.so curd will mix well & it wont give curdle effect to our gravy.
- Heat Oil in a deep heavy bottom pan, add all Seasoning ingredients & stir it for 30 seconds.
- Add Sliced onion & saute it until it become transparent.
- Add Chicken pieces to Onion & saute it for 5 minute. Then add Ginger garlic paste & saute it until chicken turns to brown colour. This will give nice colour to our gravy.
- When oil separates, add masala mixture & saute it for a minute.
- Add required amount of water & salt. Make sure gravy must be in running consistency like soup not too thin nor too thick. Adjust water accordingly.
- Adjust Salt & spice to taste.
- Cover it with lid & cook it in low flame, This will help chicken bones to release nice aroma to our gravy.
- When gravy thicken slightly, add pepper powder & minced cilantro and mint leaves.
- Mix once & serve hot with Parotta, Naan & Roti.
Check here for parotta/ paratha recipe