Gram Dal - ½ cup
Urad Dal - ½ cup
Rice - ¼ cup
Green chili - 4~5 or to taste(medium)
Hing - ¼ tsp
Ginger & garlic pods - As required
Fennel seed - 1tsp
Onion - 1 cup (chopped)
Curry leaves - Few, minced
Salt to taste
Oil - for frying
- Soak Dhal & rice together for 2 hours & drain it for ½ hour.
- Grind green chili, ginger & garlic, fennel seed / sombu into fine paste. along with soaked dal in to coarse paste.
- Add Salt, Curry leaves & Onion to the batter to the mixture.
- Make sure Batter is uniform & should be in consistency to hold & pat it in hands. If needed add little water.
- Mean while heat oil in pan & take small ball form the batter & pat it into small flat disc on the polythene bag or on a plantain leaf and deep fry.
- In between flip the vadai until golden brown color or crisp.
(note : when half done, low the heat so it will become crispy. Can omit Onions & Garlic if not required. Can also add minced cilantro & mint leaves for flavor.)
Sending this to Kurinji's Pongal feast event