The leaves of Bay tree is called as Brinji ilai in Tamil. This Rice use Bay leave as a main flavoring spice & Excellent lunch box recipe too...
Basmati rice - 1 cup
Mixed vegetables - ½ cup ( Carrot, beans, peas, potatoes, cauliflower can be used)
Meal maker or soy chunks - ¼ cup
Onion - 1 big ( sliced lengthwise)
Tomato - 1 medium ( cubed into big pieces)
Green chili - 4 or 5 ( slit into 2)
Ginger Garlic paste - 2tsp
Red chili powder - ½ tsp or to taste.
Mint & cilantro leaves - 2 tbsp (minced)
Coconut milk - ½ cup
Cashew paste - 1 tbsp (optional)
Water - 1 ½ cup for rice & 1 cup for soy chunks.
Oil - 2 tbsp
Ghee -2 tbsp
Salt to taste.
Bay leaves - 2 or 3
Cinnamon - 1"
Cardamom - 2
Fennel seed - ¼ tsp
- Wash & soak rice for 15 mins, Drain & keep it aside.
- Boil 1 cup of water & add soy chunks to it.
- When it become soft Take it from heat & allow it to cool.
- Drain & squeeze the excess water from cooked soy chunks & keep it aside.
- Heat Oil & Ghee in a pressure pan and add seasoning ingredients.
- Add Onion & green chili and saute until onion become soft.
- Add vegetables & soy chunks and saute for 3 mins.
- Now add Ginger garlic paste & stir until raw smell disappear.
- Then add Tomato, Red chili powder and required salt & saute a minute.
- Taste & adjust the salt & spice.
- Pour 1 ½ cup of water & coconut milk and bring to boil.
- At this stage add rice & cilantro mint leaves.
- When mixture starts boiling, cover the pan & low the heat.
- Cook for 10 mts & turn off the heat. ( if cooking in pressure cooker weight for 10 mins but do not cook anymore.)
- Open the pan after 15 mins & transfer to serving bowl.