Unsalted butter - 4 pound ( you can try with 1pound)
1 pound unsalted butter = 1 ½cups of Ghee or Clarified butter.
- Take a clean & dry, deep heavy bottom stainless steel pan.
- Place a unsalted butter in a pan, allow it to melt in a medium heat. ( if you are using 1 pound unsalted butter then melt it in low heat)
- Bring the melted butter to boil, at this stage butter will form foam & splutter due to water contant in the butter.
- Continue Boiling butter in same heat & do not cover the pan.
- Keep stirring to avoid burning at the bottom.
- Remove the foam (if you are using large quantity of unsalted butter ) or allow it to boil untill liquid become golden transparent colour.
- Once there is a golden brown layer at the bottom, turn off the stove.
- Transfer the pan to other place & allow it to cool.
- Drain the ghee by using fine mesh skimmer or by tea strainer in to another pan to remove foam.
- Store it in a dry jar or a container.
Note: Ghee has longer shelf life & withstand high smoke point.