Idli podi is my kids favorite and they can eat anytime of the day with idli or dosai. We used to prepare different podis like nalla karam podi, kandi podi at our house. But My kids always settle with this one. You can adjust spicy level to your need.Serving with sesame oil makes it more aromatic and tasty!.
As you guys know, I choose Andhra Pradesh state as my theme for this week. Please do check what other Blogging Marathon friends doing this week.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 ~ 20 minutes
Grinding time: Less than 5 minutes
Yield: 180g of podi
12 garlic pods
1 tbsp cooking oil
¼ cup urad dhal
¼ cup channa dhal
½ tsp hing
3 tbsp cumin seeds
3 tbsp coriander seeds
10 ~ 12 red chillies or as needed
A small lime size tamarind
5 ~ 8 strands curry leaves
Salt to taste
- Peel the garlic skin and crush and keep it aside. Red chillies can be used with strands or not, it depends on your family style. Measure and take rest of the ingredients ready.
- Heat a pan in low heat, dry roast the garlic till moisture disappear from it. transfer to another bowl.
- In the same pan, add oil. Let it warm little bit. Add both the dals, and roast them to golden brown color transfer to separate bowl to cool little bit.
- Roast other ingredients except salt together for 3 ~ 5 minutes without burning it. Transfer to the dal bowl and allow it to cool.
- In a mixer jar, add dal and other ingredients except salt and garlic. grind it in to coarse powder.
- Add garlic and salt to the mixture and grind for few seconds. grind the podi to your family need ( coarse or fine). Store it in a air tight container at room temperature.