Most of the Veggies and Fruit peel which are discarded, holds more nutrients then compare to its flesh and also found safe for consumption. The ridge gourd fruit which is cooked as vegetable has more health benefits. The peel and pulp are used in South Indian kitchen in making varius recipes. Since it is rich in fibers, vitamins and minerals and also low in calories and fats, makes them an integral part of a healthy diet.
The recipe which I shared below is one of the thogayal method we used to make at home. You can check here for same thogayal with different ingredeints which I have shared before. Try this easy recipes and share your thoughts.
1 tsp oil
Peerkangai Thol Thogayal -2Preparation time: less than 20 minutes
Cooking time: 10 ~ 15 minutes
Yield: approx 100 gms of thogayal
½ cup Peerkangai thol / Ridge ground peel ( skin from one big ridge ground)
½ cup roasted peanuts
2 ~ 3 red chili, broken into two or to taste
1 green chili, broken into two or to taste
1 inch ginger, peeled and chopped
¼ tsp hing/ Asafoetida
¼ cup cubed coconut pieces
A small gooseberry size tamarind
Salt to taste
2 ~ 3 tbsp water or as needed
1 tsp oil
1. Wash and peel ridge ground, ginger. Wash coconut and cube it in to desired shape and do the same with ginger. Keep it aside till use.
2. Heat oil in skillet, when oil gets hot, throw in green chili and red chili along with hing and ginger.
3. Saute for few minutes and add the peel and give a stir. Cook till it become soft. this may take 4 ~ 5 minutes.
4. Lower the heat and add peanuts, coconut pieces. Saute for few seconds and turns off the heat and cool the mixture for few minutes.
5. Transfer the mixture along with tamarind. Add salt and 3 tbsp of water. Grind the mixture into fine paste. Adjust salt to taste and add water as needed. Serve as a side dish for rice and idli, dosa variety..