Mushroom Briyani / மஷ்ரூம் பிரியாணி
Preparation time: 10 ~ 15 minutes
Cooking time: more or less 30 minutes
Source : sarasyummybites
1 ½ cups / 300 ~ 350 grams basmati rice
10 medium size mushroom, sliced
1 / 100 grams onion, sliced thinly
1 / less or equal to 100 grams, sliced lengthwise
3 medium size green chili
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
1 ~ 1 ½ tsp red chili powder
¼ tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp curd
Handful of mint and cilantro, chopped
Salt to taste
2 tbsp oil + 1 tbsp ghee
1 small piece cinnamon
1 bay leaves
½ tsp fennel seeds
1. Wash and soak rice for 20 ~ 30 minutes. And strain the water from rice and keep it aside till use.
2. Wash, peel and chop veggies as needed or as per instruction in ingredients list.
3. In a pressure pan or a wide heavy bottom pan, heat oil ghee mixture. Throw in seasoning ingredients one by one and allow them to splutter.
4. Add thinly sliced onions and saute till it become soft and transparent with golden brown color.
5. Add ginger garlic paste and green chilies and saute till raw smell disappear from ginger and garlic. Meantime stir continuously to avoid mixture sticks to the bottom of the pan.
6. Then add turmeric powder, red chili powder, curd and salt. Mix and stir till oil separates from the mixture. Now add tomato slices. Mix and cover the mixture with lid for 1 or 2 minutes.
7. At this stage, tomato pieces will be soft but still retain its shape. Throw in sliced mushroom, mint and cilantro leaves and mix to cooperate with the mixture. Cover and cook it for few minutes for 2 ~ 3 minutes.
8. Add 3 cups of water with soaked and strained rice. Adjust salt and spice to taste. Allow rice and mushroom mixture to boil vigorously.
9. Now lower the heat to minimum setting and cover the pan with lid and place a weight ( if you are using a pressure pan or place a bowlful of hot water on top of the plate which covers the rice mushroom pan) and cook it for 10 minutes not more than that.
10. Turn of the heat, allow it to cool little bit. After 5 or 10 minutes, open the lid and gently mix the rice. Serves with any kind of raitha.