Quinoa is an ancient food and is called a superfood for its tremendous health benefits. Quinoa contains almost twice as much fiber as most other grains. And adapting this grain to Desi taste is much easier with out missing authentic dishes taste. Thank you Veena for suggesting this wonderful healthy grain..
Preparation time: 10 minutes
5. When the mixture is still warm, Mix in cooked quinoa till everything cooperates together. Rest the quinoa puliyodharai for minimum 60 minutes before serving. Serve with any spicy side dish and papads.
Quinoa Puliyodharai / Quinoa PuliyogarePreparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 ~ 40 minutes
1 cup Quinoa
2 cups of water
Salt to taste
⅓ cup thick tamarind juice, extracted from marble size tamarind
3 tbsp sesame oil or as needed
1 tsp mix of mustard seeds and broken urad dal
2 tbsp channa dal or as needed
2 tbsp peanuts or as needed
½ tsp hing
1 green chili. slit into half
2 red chili broken into pieces or to taste
1 string curry leaves about 10 leaves
½ tsp turmeric powder
1. Wash and soak quinoa for 10 minutes.
Using open pot:
2. In a medium size sauce pan, add 2 cups of water and bring it to boil in medium heat. When water is boiling, drain the quinao through strainer and add it to boiling water. Add ¼ tsp of salt. Mix and continue to cook till all water evaporates and grain is softer when pressed between your fingers. Stir in between during cooking process. Cool completely before seasoning.
Using Rice cooker:
2. To make the cooking process easier, add soaked and drained quinoa with 2 cups of water and salt in rice cooker pan and turn ON the rice cooker and continue to cook as we do for cooking rice (or) the cooking light changes from cooking mode to warm mode. Open the pan and fluff it up with fork and allow it to cool to room temperature.
3. Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, urad dal and allow it to splutter, Then add channa dal, peanuts and saute for few seconds till channa dal and peanuts changes it color. Throw in hing, green chili, broken red chili, curry leaves and saute for few seconds followed by turmeric powder and tamarind juice. Add salt to taste.
4. When the mixture thicken and oil separates from the mixture, Turn off the heat. Let it cool little bit.
5. When the mixture is still warm, Mix in cooked quinoa till everything cooperates together. Rest the quinoa puliyodharai for minimum 60 minutes before serving. Serve with any spicy side dish and papads.www.sarasyummybites.com