Chana Dal PayasamPreparation time: 10 ~ 15 minutes
Cooking time: 35 ~ 45 minutes
Serves: 4 ~ 5
½ cup chana dal
1 cup jaggery or to taste
2 cups coconut milk taken from ½ coconut
½ tsp cardamom powder
½ tsp ginger powder
2 tbsp coconut pieces
1 tsp broken cashews pieces (optional)
1 tbsp ghee
A pinch of salt
1. Heat heavy bottom pan with 2 tbsp of ghee. Fry coconut pieces, cashews (If you need it) to golden brown color. Remove and keep it aside.
2. In a same pan, Add chana dal and fry till it slightly changes it color. Then add 1 cup of water ( Be careful, water may splutter) and cook it fully. when you pressed the cooked dal with your fingers, it should be soft and loose it shape. You can also pressure cook the dhal for 1 whistle and follow the same step. I personally like to cook my dal in open pot for payasam. Though it is bit time consuming but worth it.
Preparing Coconut milk:
3. While dal is cooking prepare coconut milk by grinding the grated coconut into semi fine paste with required amount of water.
4. Strain the milk from the coconut paste and keep it aside. This is first stage milk which will be thick.
5. Grind the coconut residue again with 1 cup of warm water and strain it through the strainer to get second stage milk, which will be thin. Keep both the milk aside.
Preparing jaggery syrup:
6. In a separate sauce pan, melt jaggery ( break jaggery into small pieces or to make it to powder) with little water and filter the jaggery syrup through strainer to remove impurities from it. ( no need for any string consistency, just melt it to liquid).
7. Add jaggery syrup to cooked chana dal and bring mixture to boil. Add pinch of salt and pour in second stage coconut milk. Mix and boil it for 7 ~ 10 minutes in medium heat. Add cardamom powder and ginger powder. You can cook for less or long depends on the consistency you like.
8. Then add first stage milk to dal mixture and cook it for 1 ~ 2 minutes. After adding first coconut milk, don't cook it for long. Turn of the mixture and add fried coconut pieces and cashews. Serve warm or cold.