Maharashtrian Chawli Usal / Lobia curry / Black Eyed Peas CurryPreparation time: 15 minutes
Soaking time: 8 hours or overnight ( If you are using frozen beans, you can cut down this time)
Cooking time: Less than 40 minutes
½ cup chawli or black eyed beans
1 small onion, chopped
1 medium size tomato, chopped
For Spice powder:
¼ tsp turmeric powder
¾ ~ 1 tsp red chilli powder
½ ~ 1 tsp garam masala or goda masala
¼ cup fresh grated coconut
1 tbsp copra or desiccate coconut
½ inch ginger
3 garlic pods
1 tbsp fennel seeds
½ tbsp coriander seeds
2 pearl onion
2 tsp oil
1. Wash and Soak the beans for 8 hour or overnight with sufficient amount of water.
2. Drain the water and pressure cook the beans with 2 cups water and salt for one whistle or till beans become soft. After 5 minutes or pressure drop, remove the lid and allow it to cool.
3. While beans are cooling, Heat oil in a separate pan, add chopped pearl onions and fry till they become transparent and pink..
4. Throw in ginger and garlic and saute for few minutes, then add coriander seeds and fennel seeds. Fry till they become crisp and lightly browned.
5. Lower the heat and add both the coconuts. Saute continuously, till they change color or for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow the mixture to cool and grind it in to fine paste by adding little water.
6. Heat oil in a pan, add chopped onion and saute until it become soft and transparent. Then add the ground paste and saute for a minute.
7. Throw in all the masala powders and chopped tomatoes. Fry for few minutes till tomato become soft and oil slightly separates from the mixture.
8. Now add the cooked beans along with the water and bring the mixture to boil for 5 minutes. Do not cover the mixture and add water if needed. When the mixture boils vigorously, Lower the heat, Stir and cook the mixture for another 10 ~ 12 minutes
9. Check and adjust salt and spice to taste. When mixture reduced to required consistency, Turn off the heat and transfer it to serving bowl and enjoy with steamed rice, rotis.